When I sat and talked to my day (part 11)

I am a bit cluttered in my head at the moment, and I need sleep as soon as possible. But I have somehow gotten into a daily habit of expressing myself. Hence I must get those words out of my head to feel decluttered again.




So let me start with a conversation I had once with my cousin sister. We were talking about stages of life in business and academic fields. While I come from technology and business side of the story, she is a sparkling talent in the field of education and academics. Obviously, the charters of our respective lives are different, we have different pursuits in life and we sometimes see the world differently. But we have one thing in common. Stay curious, stay updated, question the very existence of certain things, have a scientific temperament to things around us and above all, continue on the path of a growth mindset.

The last aspect is essential for survival. While taking shower this morning, I was thinking, how my life has unfolded so far. When I look back, I find that I have only grown when I have been honestly seeking for a change. Every 5-6 years I have had a chance to update myself. I have done the update and I have moved on. What this brain-ware update does are the following -
  • You do not feel you are the best in your field. Even though I have done pretty well in all tasks I have undertaken professionally, I could never turn complacent.
  • You have always the feeling that the purpose of life is not met, and that, there is a eternal thirst and search for something more challenging. This is a real motivation, hardly explained in the formative years. But one who has it knows it, and utilizes it.
  • You see what is going around in the world and try to keep up. At least for me this has happened multiple times. I had been doing a task or carrying forward a responsibility and then I found out, there are several new programming languages that had arrived on the scene. Or that, there was a different design principle created for Software Engineering. I would then roll up my sleeves and start a new journey.


The idea is really not to get confused with oneself, not to engage into too many things, not to start tracks in parallel, but to concentrate on creating a change within. In other words, away from defensive and complex thoughts, to come to the forefront and make an updated version of oneself.
  • Reading books has helped me a lot. I do it in a certain way - I pick up a fiction, a fact book, a technical book and pace those up in a way that all three end up finishing at round about the same time. When you pick up a book and start reading, it helps you refresh your mind, reset your thoughts and restart your pursuit for something new.
  • Picking up one new skill would be a fantastic idea. In my case, I am into music and all. What if I pick up a guitar and start to learn it? I do not need to undergo a huge transformation, as I am already aware of musical mood and I know how to read notes. All I need is a small update to my musical-self and get going on a new journey, with a new instrument.
  • What about learning a new programming language? It gives immense pleasure to see one's own code running on a system and producing the desired output. Why cannot we try this? It takes some hours to grasp its syntax, but after that, its all personal endless journey, to develop a program, an App or even a portal.


Until the next day, with an updated version of myself, good night friends!

Comments

Popular Posts

When I sat and talked to my day (part 14)

When I sat and talked to my day (part 13)

Sankofa – a garden in the making