When I sat and talked to my day (part 10)
Today I would like to elaborate on the topic of asking questions. Actually I want to start from where I had left the last post. After coming abroad, among other things, I learnt the art of asking. Especially at my work place. In a rather complex technical project, it was obvious to do this. However, there were always a few things that was hindering me in the beginning -
- We might be having a strong hierarchical structure, the subordinates should not at all ask questions. I should try to get some documentation to read, learn the stuff alone by themselves and get the expertise sorted out.
- I was at a place of safety and I had earned a reputation for myself. By asking questions, I could end up putting myself in an awkward situation. It might become evident for others, that I had lack of knowledge in certain areas.
- Which questions were the ones to ask? Which were the stupid ones? Should I be avoiding the ones that were obvious to ask but it might be the case that it was only me who did not know the answer.
- All in all, would I portray myself as a weak, vulnerable fellow by asking questions? There were other things to do, like getting pay check to pay check properly running, or, perhaps, bagging a bonus or two from time to time.
Rather ironically, these are some of the main points that keep hindering us all our lives. Be it in professional life or in personal space. We miss to see what is coming, by choosing not to ask a question or two. I mean, what is the fear? Yes, we can make mistakes. The system sometimes can force us to make mistakes, or commit a blunder. But all those should not pull us down. Accept the mistake, apologize, take corrective measures and move on. We must hear the order of the day. If there is dissent in the household, in the society, or in the country, we must ask, and enquire, to know why this is coming up. We are not doing that, thereby many of us felt cut off from the peaceful protests recently held in India.
When I trace the recent developments in and around us, I get bothered by the stony, eerie silence from a major part of the society. Why is this happening? Have we become too self-centred? Have we reached such a high stature that nothing that does not come off as "my standard" even fails to touches me?
I am primarily a science student and a lifelong one. In my professional life, I am still learning. As the famous Indian actor Naseeruddin Shah has recently stated - he had learnt acting skills more from interacting with his juniors, than from his teacher at the National School of Drama or at the Pune Film Institute. So, with the spirit of learning and distributing the learning I acquire, I would like to propose a few possible improvement areas for us to ponder upon.
- When an issue gets raised, try to find out the source or reason behind why it is an issue. Please do not accept it as it is, but please do not also brush it off. If an issue is affecting many people, there must be some basis behind it.
- Think if the issue can directly or indirectly impact you. Just do not dismiss from its presence. History has shown, in the beginning, the issue impacts small sections, with whom you have no connection and hence you do not care. Then it affects your neighbour, and you choose to ignore again, thinking it will not come to you. Finally it comes to you and then there is no one to support you.
- There is nothing to lose, if the cause is valid and the issue is a real problem. Honest opinion can be rejected, crushed upon but cannot be overlooked. It will not die, take rebirth after rebirth.
- There are two ends to an incident. When something wrong is happening in front of your eyes, day in and day out, there are someone who is in its favour, a section opposing, and finally a section who finds and brings forward the truth. Stay with the third batch.
Overall, question and speak out. No matter at which age group you are. No matter how settled you are. No matter how prosperous you are. What is wrong is wrong. What is spade cannot be called a feather.
Good night friends, tomorrow is travel!



Comments
Post a Comment